Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Word

Back at the beginning of the year, when everyone was making resolutions, I read this post from Clover Lane, one of the blogs I love to read. She was copying someone else's idea of making a new year's resolution out of one word. I loved the idea. So I thought and thought of what my word would be. And this is what I came up with:
I printed the word out, stuck it in a dollar store frame, and now it sits on my nightstand to remind me each day.

There are 2 ways I'm trying to incorporate this word into my life:
1st, I want to simplify things in my jumbled-up mind. I constantly have to-do lists running through my mind. Seriously-- all day long. And, often, this stresses me out. I'm very detail-oriented (in other words, I freak out when something isn't perfect). As a result, I spend a lot of my time and energy on things that really aren't that important-- like staying hours after school to create cute little signs for a lesson I'm going to teach the next day. Was it on my to-do list? Yes. Was it important enough for me to spend all that time and energy? No. Is it the end of the world if I don't do it? Previously, I would have said yes. Crazy, huh? So to simplify the lists running through my mind, I am trying to decide which things are the most important and not "sweat the small stuff."

2nd, I want to embrace the 'simple pleasures' in life (hence, the new name of our blog!). I'm sorry to say that I wasn't a very cheerful or positive pregnant girl. I feel like I spent most of the last year uncomfortable and complaining. I stopped noticing all the good things around me like I used to. At the bottom of the stairwell to our condo, there used to be a beautiful rose bush. Every time it was in bloom and I was walking past, I would think the phrase, "stop and smell the roses." So I would . . . even when I was running late for work! And each time I breathed in the perfume, I would walk away thinking how pleasant this world is. Last summer, the grounds crew tore the rose bush out. I don't know why. But with or without a rose bush, I want to have that feeling again every single day. I want to notice the simple things around me that make me love my life! And so, for this year, I will be blogging about those things that make me happy. Enjoy!

6 comments:

landofnyedom said...

What a great idea! I'm a list maker too. There's just always something waiting to be done. Jeff likes to tell me to K.I.S.S...Keep It Simple Stupid...in the most loving way of course. :)
Love the pics at the top of your blog too. Thanks for coming yesterday. Your frames were really cute.
Love ya!

Emily said...

Stupid grounds crew.

I like your word! And your new header. Cute.

The Drakes' said...

That is way I like spending time with you, you are a good influence to me. Thanks for the reminder to keep it simple.

danielle said...

one of my favorite things about you is that you are the only person i know that actaully stops and smells the flowers.
that - and how hard you laugh at commercials. its a toss up.

Troy, Brandy, and Boys said...

Love the new blog decor! The pictures at the top are amazing! And I love the word simplify and that frame Dana! I can totally relate to both ways you're trying to incorporate that word. I am a list maker too and can never seem to cross as many things off as I'm adding. I too use to enjoy the simple pleasures and feel like I get lost in the hustle and bustle of things the last little while. There's no time to simplify like the present. Thanks for the reminder!

Love you guys!!

The Hansen's said...

I LOVE this idea! It seems like I can learn a lot from you and your ideas!