Monday, July 5, 2010

happy 4th

Clearfield Parade (July 3rd):
hesitant parents, loud sirens . . . chill Porter

Whenever Porter is exposed to something new, he goes into a trance. He doesn't look at us or smile or do anything. I used to think that meant he was bored or didn't like it. But I soon discovered that his weird "trance" is just him studying and taking in everything around him. Anytime we go somewhere new- a grocery store, an auto shop, a park- it's the same reaction. But after about 10 minutes, once he's figured everything out, he usually goes back to his normal self, babbling & playing. The parade was like this-- but his trance lasted for an hour straight because everything kept changing. It's fun to watch him learning so many new things!
unnecessary precaution: we thought he'd be scared of the sirens. he wasn't.



Clearfield City Fireworks (July 3rd):
hesitant parents, loud fireworks . . . chill Porter

Porter goes to sleep around 7pm each night and sleeps for 11 hours. We were scared to mess up this heavenly sleep schedule, but we really wanted him to see fireworks. So we woke him up at 10. Luckily, he woke up happy & alert. We took him out to the lawn in front of our condos. The city firework show is just a couple blocks east, so we had a pretty good viewing spot. We gave him some glow rings that I'd bought beforehand and he played with those until the show started. He loved it! He stared intently, watching all the fireworks for the 20-30 minutes until the show was over. He wasn't scared at all by the loud fireworks like we worried about. Right on cue, he started yawning at the end of the show and went straight back to bed without any crying! I can't believe we lucked out on getting such a good, happy  baby!

Funniest picture of the day!


6 comments:

Marcia said...

Very cool! My babies always hated fireworks. Tessa walked along the parade with the North Davis Jr High band throwing candy. She is disappointed that she didn't see you.

Marcia said...

I thought I left a comment but maybe I got distracted before sending it. Anyhow, I'm love that he liked the fireworks! none of mine did. Also, Tess walked in the parade throwing candy for the Jr. High band. She was bummed she didn't see you. Looks like you are having a great summer. I heard Mrs. Rose is moving to first grade too. Sad about that! (she's one of our favorite teachers and now Tessa won't get her)

Marcia said...

*I love that he liked the fireworks...

Cherie said...

I'm so glad you guys had such a fun 4th of July. I think getting to watch things from your kid's point of view is one of the best parts of being a parent. It's fun to be little again sometimes :) Dana, you look amazing! Way to go pretty lady! Also, I'm glad to hear you guys want to move to New Hampshire. I truly do love it there :) The only downside I'd say is that there's very few members (or at least that was the case when I lived there). My stake used to cover parts of 3 states (Eastern NH, Northern MA, and Southern ME) I had a couple friends move from NH to Boise (one of the few members) and they said Boise is comparable so I'll let you know! I'm glad you guys are having a great summer and that little Porter is just precious :)

landofnyedom said...

Looks like a fun day! That's great the noise didn't freak him out. Nice when kids surprise you in a good way. :)
Love you guys!

Troy, Brandy, and Boys said...

He's such a cutie! I'm glad he liked the fireworks. Your family is so cute! Porter's adorable and you and Brian are great parents! :)