Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Blond at the Polls

Tonight I went to vote. When I got there, however, and told them my name was "Nye," they couldn't find my name on their list. Brian's name was there-- mine wasn't. I was a little upset. After all, I was roped into being a state delegate and caucus co-chair. I've attended meetings preparing for this election, and they somehow left my name off of the register?! How dare they!

I ended up filling out a provisional ballot (at least I think that's what they called it). It was a paper ballot that was put into a ballot box.

I came home and started cleaning and doing laundry, wondering if they would even count my vote since I wasn't on their list of registered voters. Suddenly, I realized that I wasn't Dana "Nye" when I registered to vote! How could I forget that a little marriage had happened between the time I registered to vote and now?! I felt so stupid. By this time, I was in my pj's in my nice warm house. I really didn't want to go back. But a little lecture was going through my head about how I need to do "my part" as an American and all that. So I headed back to the voting place to fix the situation.

The 15 or so workers got a good laugh at my "forgetting I had gotten married" excuse. A blond joke or 2 were thrown around, then I was informed I didn't need to do anything. It somehow, magically, will be sorted out on its own. I walked out, feeling very stupid. It didn't help my self-esteem any that I was wearing a giant poofy marshmallow coat and high-water sweatpants, showing off my colorful socks!

8 comments:

Emily said...

oh man, that is hilarious!

The Birds said...

You are too cute! Call me!

Cindi said...

Good for you! I'm glad you voted anyway.

Rob and Juliann said...

You're so funny Dana.

Jenn said...

So funny!
I'm sorry though--that's a bummer for you! =D

The Hunzikers said...

That is hilarious!!! Wish I could have heard that one in person!

Anonymous said...

Dana I love you!
you are so cute! I am sure happy that you ARE a Nye! And Glad to know that everyone has those moments!
Love you bunches
Your "Mom" in love!

Brian and Whitney said...

I love that you did this for so many reasons the first one being I have tried to access old accounts with my new name and ID it is rough! You aren't the only one!