Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Alpine Week

We spent all last week in Utah County. I was doing a workshop with Alpine School District, Brian was finishing up his finals for summer semester, and Porter was very patiently shuffling around with new babysitters and adjusting to sharing a hotel room with his parents (or rather, his parents were trying to adjust to sharing a room with him!). It was a busy, busy week, to say the least!

I had a great week with the Alpine teachers and learned so much from them. That's not to say I didn't have a migraine from stress every single day . . . but it did make me reminiscent of the days when I was an Alpine teacher--and I missed it.

Luckily, since we were so close to my new school, we took a truckload and began unloading ALL of my junk into my new classroom during our evenings. Here's what it looked like before we unloaded my stuff:

And I'll spare you from an after-picture. Just imagine every desk and countertop stacked with boxes and storage crates and books and math supplies. I should have just thrown it all away- the classroom looks so much nicer without all the STUFF! However, that would also make for a pretty boring year for my new first-graders. Ahh, the things I do for them!

We definitely enjoyed a week of hot breakfast prepared for us and room service cleaning up after us. But that being said, hotel life can get pretty old after a week. We were anxious to get home  by the weekend- even if we had to prepare our own breakfast and make our own beds.

We returned home for a couple days to do laundry, attend a very special baptism (our sister-in-law and 2 nephews), have a fun dinner at Olive Garden with Grandma & Grandpa Nye, and attend church. Then we left again. I'm starting to think I should've taken my summer off!

5 comments:

landofnyedom said...

Agreed, more than a week at a hotel gets rough. Sad you can't be Carter's 1st grade teacher next year. How fun would that be?! ;) Good luck with the rest of your summer. Hope you get some down time.

Emily said...

I didn't know you were moving schools. Exciting! Your new kids are so lucky.

I hate staying in a hotel with my kids. Now I know why we never did it as kids--my parents would've died with 6 kids in a hotel room!

Anonymous said...

So glad you are getting this great experiance! ! Love the pictures!
Dad and Mom

The Congers said...

Wow you guys sound so busy, good luck with the new job, the move, and selling your place, school. And as always cute pics.

Troy, Brandy, and Boys said...

I'm sorry you're so crazy busy this summer Dana! You are a great teacher and your students are going to be so lucky!! Hotel life would be rough after that long. We will miss you guys when you move down there.

We love ya!