Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Old habits are hard to break . . .

I have serious punctuality issues. This week I decided to do something about it. I remembered a project we had in my Educational Psychology class in college. We had to change or create a new behavior by supplying ourselves with rewards (Pavlov's theory). I changed my study habits that semester with a few simple boxes of Junior Mints.So I decided on Sunday (as we drove to our 1pm church at 1:05) that I would be 15 minutes early to everything this week. If I had 7 consecutive days of meeting my goal, I'd treat myself to Coldstones. I started yesterday. I did pretty well, but I was only 7 minutes early to work. Then today, I tried again and got worse. I was only 3 minutes early. As I walked in the door to summer school this morning at 7:27, my principal looked at me in amazement. Finally, he said, "What is going on? During the regular school year, we meet at 8:15 (implied: I'm never there at 8:15!). Now you're required to be here at 7:30 and you've been early every day???" I explained my ice cream reward to him. Unfortunately, I also explained that my goal is to be 15 minutes early and ended with, "It just seems I'm late no matter what time I shoot for!" (note: probably not the smartest thing to say to your boss.)

Seriously-- why is my mind so messed up that I can only be on time when I'm trying to be somewhere super early?! I don't get it!

Update: my reward is now contingent on being only 10 minutes early AND only for 4 days total --- I really want that ice cream!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Hilarious! I was the same way 'til I married Dave. He hates being late like nothing else, so we're pretty much always on time if we go anywhere together.

I like the idea of what you're doing, but I just don't have the will power for it. If I want something bad enough (ice cream, for example), I just go get it.

landofnyedom said...

Don't worry. Once you start having kids, it'll only get worse. :) We figured at least 5 minutes late per kid if nothing went horribly wrong. Good luck!

Rob and Juliann said...

I totally feel your pain!

The Peterson's said...

Good Luck!

Maude Beckman said...

LOL! My grandma used to be a fashionable 15 to 30 minutes late to everything, drove my Dad so crazy that he pouded on us the importance of being everywhere early. I am afraid I am doing the same thing to my kids... When we first got married, we would always be late to church too and it made me Crazy! After a while, Joseph decided it was easier to be on time than to deal with my wrath when we were late... :)

The Hunzikers said...

Dana you are so funny!!! The part of your conversation with your principal had me laughing out loud! I used to be early, but now I am just right on time. I'm guessing as the years go by I will end up being late...you're not alone!