Thursday, September 10, 2009

Silly Brian

Yes, that is a giant pile of sunflower seed shells.

My husband loves sunflower seeds--- specifically, Zotes Salt & Pepper-flavored sunflower seeds. He orders them by the case from the manufacturer on a monthly basis. (On a sad note, they just went out of business-- but that's another story).

Anyway, about 4 months ago, Brian came up with this brilliant idea-- instead of throwing away all those shells that he goes through, he should save them!! Yes, he should save them in gallon-sized ziploc bags! And then, when he's saved all he can, we will go to the drive-in movies and dump them out by our car. The best part of this plan was the knowledge that some guy will come the next day to clean up and say, "What the heck?!"

Of course, being the super-supportive wife that I am, we saved and saved. At first, he kept the bags in our pantry and I became a little less supportive. Then the bags were moved to a storage closet. By the end, he had 8 gallons of sunflower seed shells. It was time.

We went to the drive-in movie on Friday. It was a double-feature, but we only stayed for one. Before we left, Brian dumped his collection out by our car. We took pictures and jumped in the car to go home. I was feeling sad that Brian could only imagine people's reactions to his 4-month project. BUT we were blessed. As we were pulling away with our windows rolled down, a teenage girl walked by staring at the pile open-mouthed and exclaimed, "What the heck?!" There it was. Totally worth it!

13 comments:

Victoria said...

You are so fun! FYI-sunflower seed are a great sourse of Vitamin E which is also and antioxidant. Eat Up!

Charity Brown said...

WOW! Hahaha! that's awesome! I bet someone somewhere took a picture of it and put it on their blog and/or Facebook... :)

Emily said...

oh man, that is so hilarious. i love it! i wish i could see some faces react to that too.

The Drakes' said...

That pile was HUGE! I am sure the person who had to clean up said more then what the heck.

[*.Manda.*] said...

Hey Dana, this is Brian's cousin, Mandy. I always knew that Brian was my funniest cousin!!! That is quite the ides, and I'm sure my husband is mad he didn't think of it first. lol!

Troy, Brandy, and Boys said...

That's awesome! You'll have to tell Brian Troy was totally impressed with that pile! So funny... :)

Anonymous said...

Dad said yup that is my boy! Dana you are such a good sport to put up with his funniness! (is that a word)
We love you both
Dad and Mom

The Peterson's said...

It is a boy... Congrats! Your husband is funny to collect all those seeds!

Katie and Brad Judson said...

That is super hilarious even better you got to hear someone's response to all those seeds. Way to be the supportive wife. Brian way to be YOU!. love you both.

The Birds said...

Brian, you are one funny kid! Dana, you are one supportive wife! I love you two!

Octane said...

Unbelievable. Is the seed of the sunflower delicious? Still, it is terrible quantity. (I'm Octane from Japan)

AJ Webb said...

Awesome! I want one of those piles!

RobbyWasabi said...

Was trying to learn about Zotes and stumbled on your blog... when and why did they go out of business? How did you hear? :( I am sad to hear that but can't find any information anywhere.