Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy President's Day!

Last week, we were doing several activities for President's Day in my first grade class. Before beginning an art project on George Washington, I wanted to find out what the kids already know. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: "Today we're going to be learning about the first president of the United States. Does anyone know who that was?"

There's nothing but silence. I make a mental note that I need to teach them more about U.S. History. But then one little boy gasps and raises his hand. His response? "Joseph Smith!"

Me: "No. That was the first president of a church. The first president of our country was George Washington." I then go on to tell them about George Washington and the reason we're celebrating President's Day.

Finally I realize that they might not know much about current politics either. So I ask, "Does anyone know who our current president is?"

Silence again. But soon, a little girl raises her hand and proudly states, "Thomas S. Monson."

I inform her that he, also, is the president of a church. But before I can tell the class what the real answer is, another girl gets it . . . almost: "Baracka Oframa." I suppress my laughter and write the president's real name on the board and help them learn the correct pronunciation.

We're about to begin our art project when I foolishly decide to tell them that another important president was also born in February. I start to tell them he was important because he helped free the slaves. Then out of nowhere, a boy proudly shouts, "I know who it is! It's Moses!"

5 comments:

The Drakes' said...

Ha Ha! it would appear you have some pretty religious students. That is too cute.

Emily said...

I guess we should be proud of their parents for teaching them about church history...but what about US History?? Hi-larious.

landofnyedom said...

Seriously Laughed Out Loud! That's too funny. :)

Liz Morrill said...

Only in Utah!!! that is so great!!
what a great teacher you are!
love you tons!!

The Congers said...

That is really funny! Thanks for sharing! haha, still laughing about it.