Monday, March 21, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

I never fully appreciated St. Patrick's Day until I began teaching 1st grade. A sneaky leprechaun plays tricks on our class for the first few weeks of March every year. And each year, we try to catch him. This year, my kids were amazingly creative with their leprechaun traps. I thought I'd share a few:

 The trap above has a gold ring inside attached to the string holding the peg. When the leprechaun grabs the gold, it pulls the peg out and the door closes, trapping the leprechaun in!

Our traps didn't work. Instead, it made him angry and he trashed our classroom!

Although we didn't catch him, he did steal some of our gold coin candy then sent the kids on a treasure hunt to find it.

Unfortunately, I fell for the leprechaun's trick again this year when he left a drink that was only for kids. He left a note warning adults not to drink it, but my students talked me into it and my feet turned green! Those kids thought it was hilarious!

7 comments:

landofnyedom said...

What a fun teacher you are! Carter class had a leprachaun mess up their room too. Fun days. :)

The Peterson's said...

So cute! I love the traps. Some of those are amazing, and the green foot is a nice touch!

The Congers said...

Looks like you guys had an eventful couple of weeks. Happy Birthday to both of you! And I hope that green comes off easily, haha.

Emily said...

You are a FUN fun teacher! Seriously. I bet they just loooove you.

The Hunzikers said...

Oh Dana! Could your kids have a cuter teacher? I think not. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

How cute Dana your so creative! Those are lucky kids!

Juliann said...

I had SO MUCH FUN with the whole sneaky leprechaun thing this year! Claire's 1st grade class also made traps! "Larry" came home with her in her trap and he got into her piggy bank, got into her plant, trashed her doll house and then fell asleep in the doll's bed. It was SO cute! I LOVE that your feet turned green!