Tuesday, May 3, 2011

books, books, and more books!



One thing that's stuck with me from my reading endorsement classes is a study I read that recommends children get 1000+ hours of book time before entering kindergarten. That's a lot. Porter's got a long way to go! Another study says that the more books that are in a home, the greater chance a child has for academic success. Greater vocabularies, higher reading levels, etc. That one's pretty obvious, right?

Anyway, this is my explanation for my obsession with buying children's books. That, and I teach elementary school- I'm pretty sure this particular obsession is prerequisite for becoming a teacher.

You all know I'm not one to throw parties, let alone a selling party. However, I found out last week that one of my friends from church sells Usborne books. That one hit my weakness. I told her I wanted to buy some books but didn't want to throw a party. So she sent up an online party for me instead.  I told her I'd post it on my blog in case any of you wanted to buy some books too. But please know that there's no pressure. Here's the info:

Hosted by: Dana Nye
Place: www.myubam.com/HOS197166
When: Today thru 5/14/2011 11:59:00 PM




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's mine and Porter's favorite book! He loves it! But he loves all books and that makes me happy too! I love to read to him! Thanks sharing him with me!
Love you

Emily said...

What a good idea! Is it Melissa that's selling? I think I saw something on FB about that. We really paid for not reading enough with Isaac before kindergarten. But luckily, we learned our lesson and Noah can read already, which is nice since he won't start kindergarten 'til next year (september 3rd birthday, blast!). But Isaac never liked reading, even when I tried when he was a baby he would get distracted. He just doesn't like it. Do you have any good recommandations for chapter books for first graders? Something easy for him to read or something interesting for us to read to him?