Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Windy City



A couple weeks ago, I went to Chicago to attend the IRA (International Reading Association) Conference. Because of some work I'm doing with my school district, they sent me there. It was busy, busy, busy, and wonderful! I had hoped I'd get to see more of the city, but the conference kept my schedule pretty packed. Instead, I just got to enjoy the views from my hotel room on the 45th floor. And I got to know the restaurants surrounding the hotel pretty well too. So as far as that block of Chicago goes, I think it's a pretty nice place!


 I also got to know some lovely ladies from my school district while I was there. I think there were 9 of us from our district that went. They definitely took me under their wing and watched out for me in my super-pregnant state while I was there.


Traveling while pregnant isn't so bad . . . I sleep as poorly as I would at home and lifting my suitcase around is no worse than carrying Porter. But because I get SO stinkin' huge while I'm pregnant, the hard part is hearing all the whispers behind me as I walk to my seat on the plane and the captain coming out of the cockpit with huge eyes telling the rest of my group that we better not be delivering a baby on this flight. I know I'm huge. I just sometimes get tired of explaining to everyone that I'm not really that close to delivery.

The conference was amazing. It was pretty exciting to see so many "big" people in the education field all in one place. If I were to list names, you probably would've never heard of them. But I have, and it was exciting to see them and actually listen to presentations given by them! Another highlight was the authors. I'm a little obsessed with children's books. At this conference, they brought in several authors to do book signings. I've never been big into things like that. But while I was there, I got this great idea to build up a library of books for Porter and Lucy signed by these authors. I didn't get many though, since I chose to go to the classes more often than I chose to wait in line for an hour to meet an author.


Finally, after 4 days, I boarded the plane to go back home. As much fun as I had, I could not wait to get back. I was miserable being away from Porter and Brian. I didn't think it would affect me so badly, but it did. We had the fortune of flying out of and into the Provo Airport. Instead of driving an hour to Salt Lake, this airport is just down the street. I can't tell you how nice it is to get off the plane and be home in less than 10 minutes. So wonderful!


 Porter and Brian were right there on the tarmac to meet me when I got off my flight. I was SO happy to see them! I don't plan on leaving like that again for a long while. I missed them too much!


By the way, please excuse the crummy photos-- I used my phone camera for the whole trip!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy you got to go! But happy you're back, Brian and Porter sure missed you too!

Emily said...

Looks like a great trip! You and I differ a little...while I love my husband and children, I LOVE trips away. :)

landofnyedom said...

That's so cool you got to go to Chicago. Lots to see & do there, but I couldn't live there. Too busy for me. :) Awesome view from your room though!