Friday, March 6, 2009

(Formerly) Miss Independent

I used to pride myself on my independence. I opened all my jar lids, managed all my car repairs, did my taxes (I guess my dad helped a little there), carried heavy items from my apartment to my car, opened my own doors, killed spiders without so much as a gasp . . . and then I got married.

Brian went to St. George for the weekend. And I am realizing how un-independent (i.e. dependent) I've become! Tonight as I looked deep into one of our cupboards, I saw this:(If you can't tell, it's a large spider- about 1 inch big!) My heart stopped beating. I think my breathing even paused. I thought, "I need Brian!" Suddenly, I realized that I've been killing spiders for years. I reproached myself for being such a pansy and went to grab some toilet paper because I was going to smash that thing and, so doing, regain my independence!

I slowly crept my hand closer and closer, anticipating an attack at any moment. I pounced on it and smashed. As I pulled my catch out of the dark cupboard, I soon realized what my spider really was. . .
Yes, a toy spider ring. I am so lucky it didn't attack!! So, with my newfound independence, I would like to offer to come kill any plastic pests that might be haunting you.

P.S. I swear the top picture doesn't do it justice- it looked much more realistic in real life!

12 comments:

Charity Brown said...

Haha, that's hilarious! I am deathly afraid of spiders myself! When I first saw that top picture my heart started racing!

Emily said...

I thought it was real--seriously. I felt sick, and thought, "She should've called Dave, he's a pro at killing spiders!"

When Isaac brings home fake spiders from Halloween parties/school/church/whatever, I throw them away. I can't handle them. Even if they're different colors, they still creep me out.

Troy, Brandy, and Boys said...

That's so funny and freaky at the same time! I thought that was real! I hate spiders too. Did Brian put that in there as a joke?

You're so sweet! I wish you were ones of the boys teacher too. They have great ones but I hear you're the best! :) That's funny about the animal molds. I'm so not creative that way either. Happy soon-to-be birthday!...

danielle said...

that is hilarious - and fantastic.

i think it still counts - way to be self-reliant and oh so tough daners :)

Rob and Juliann said...

The thought of "what if it lays eggs" makes me a MUCH braver person.

Carrera said...

haha! I had to do the same thing the other day!! Only mine was much smaller and, real. :) Thanks for sharing

The Hunzikers said...

That is so funny!!!! I love that it wasn't even a real spider! I know exactly what you mean about losing your independence after getting married...I too have found that I rarely do anything myself anymore.

Dani said...

That is so funny! And I have to admit, though brightly colored and not realistic looking at all, those fake insects get my heart racing too sometimes! :) Must run in the family!

The Peterson's said...

You can come kill mine anytime I have no independace when it comes to spiders!

Victoria said...

Dana-
I need to talk with Brian about IFLY helping with prizes for R&O Construction. I have an internship here. They are the company that built the IFLY building. Anyway, I don't know how I can contact him. Let me know. Thanks

The Hansen's said...

Your blog is so fun! I loved reading a bunch of your funny posts including this one. ha ha I hope you don't mind but my Brian read it too and cracked up. This was right after I had done something extremely blonde myself. :)

Carrera said...

Happy Birthday to you too! I hope yours was a fun one! And I hope your hubby told you a long time ago that i said happy birthday cause i didnt have my phone and i asked him to tell you for me :)