Today, I rode my bike to/from work. My school is just under 2 miles away from our house, so I thought it was no big deal. But I'm still undecided as to whether I'll continue this bike-riding thing. And since I lived for years with a roommate who thrived on pro/con lists, I've decided to make this one and hopefully figure it out:
RIDING A BIKE PROS ...
1. Saves gas $ (which actually totals about $2 per day)
2. I might possibly get back in shape; fingers crossed.
3. Tree-huggers will like me (with my <$2 of gas saved roundtrip)
4. The ride home is easy, practically no pedaling!
5. It's nice to be outside in the perfect autumn weather.
RIDING A BIKE CONS ...
1. I'm not in really great shape. I got winded on an incline that I actually never noticed was there while driving a car.
2. My route is on a stupid busy main street and I am certain that every single car I pass is full of people pointing and laughing.
3. My teacher wardrobe doesn't exactly match my bike. I think I look out of place (thus encouraging the pointing and laughing).
4. The absolute WORST "con" is that my school only has students who walk or ride bikes (no buses). This morning, I ended up riding the last 4-5 blocks to school with a little girl who was in my class last year and her brother. Yeah, that looks professional! (but they did show me a nice shortcut!)
I still have no idea if I'll ride my bike again tomorrow. What would YOU do? Honestly.
9 comments:
I think that's great! I wish I had a bike to ride around! I say, go for it! Even if you're riding next to the little kids... still fun!
hooray for lists! so happy to learn that I had a positive impact on you ;)
i would definitely ride. the image of you riding the last 5 blocks with all the little 3rd graders is just too cute.
Our new bike resolution (we got some!) is that if we eat out during the week we have to ride our bikes there. Last night we rode to the hamburger stand. Does that cancel each other out?
Ride the bike, except on days you wear a dress :)
Alright Dana. YOU ARE FUNNY! I was laughing when you wrote that you rode with kids from last year. I'm sure they think you are awesome. Keep riding your bike. Soon it will be too cold and you will regret not spending more time outside. I'm spending every nice day outside I can before winter hits.
I think it's a great idea. But it's supposed to snow Saturday and Sunday, and there is no WAY I would ride my bike in snowy, cold weather. But in the early fall and late spring, for sure.
Well Dana need you ask me? Really? Nope I would never ride my bike! You work so hard in the classroom you deserve a nice ride to work.
Love you
Mom Nye
AJ rode his bike to the train station for a long time and he had quite the long route, but it did save gas and he did get in shape... I think it is really healthy to ride the bike! I would worry about getting all sweaty, but its nice and cool now so thats good!
You are braver than I am. I say go for it, weather permitting of course. :)
Dana I died laughing reading your post. I can just see you biking in with your students. You are so funny. Thanks for making my day! Oh, and if I were you, I would still bike if it's nice, but winter is upon us so you will probably want to drive. I can't picture you riding your bike with snow boots and a skirt.
Post a Comment