Wednesday, March 3, 2010

7 Hours!

Monday night was possibly the worst of my mommy-career. The baby was finally soothed and quiet when Brian and I retired around midnight. As is often the case, the second my head hit the pillow, I heard whimpers from the bassinet which shortly turned into screams. The baby was up . . . and so was I. I spent the next 3 1/2 hours trying to feed, rock, sing to, and soothe my screaming Porter. Finally, he fell asleep again just before 4 am. That lasted for almost 1 1/2 hours before he was up again. By the time Brian woke up to go to school, I had gotten 3 hours of sleep.

Tuesday was a lot of the same- whimpering, crying (from the baby AND me!). Finally, when Brian got home late last night, we were both out of ideas. We called the doctor and took Porter to the after-hours clinic around midnight. An hour and a half later, we had a doctor telling us that we have a perfectly healthy baby and he couldn't see any reason why he should be crying so much. Then he gave us a dreaded pamphlet, "Coping with Colic." He said it was a possibility. Brian and I came home, soothed the baby to sleep once more, and tumbled into bed at 2 am . . . . Seven hours later, the baby woke up! 7 Hours!!! We couldn't believe our luck! He's never slept that long!

I don't know if he really does have colic or if it was just a bad 2 days, but he's been an angel today-- sleeping and eating normally. Fingers crossed that he stays that way!!

Brian found Porter like this during his nap this morning. Somehow he had knocked the monkey's arm into this position. So funny! Guess it's time to move the animals out of his crib. . .

7 comments:

Juliann said...

Hearing that Porter is colicky makes me want to cry for you! We've never dealt with it, thank goodness!

Troy, Brandy, and Boys said...

I'm so sorry Dana! Colic is tough! Tre went through that phase for a month or so. It seemed like when I took certain things out of my diet he got better. Our doctor told us about the book 'The Happiest Baby on the Block' and that helped a lot too. I wish I still had it. I'm here if you have any questions or even just need to vent. So glad he did better last night. Hopefully tonight's a better night too! :)

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Oh Dana I am so sorry to hear you had such a bad couple nights. This Grandma could have come and held him and let you sleep! Could have been the Indian food we had the other night? We love you all so much and you better call if he happens to have another bad time I am pretty crazy about that little guy.
Love you

Jenn said...

uuugh. that's tough. neither of my boys had colic, but carsen did have hour long screaming fits before we figured out he was allergic to milk as an infant. it was awful. i can totally feel for ya!

Maude Beckman said...

could be just gas... try gripe water. It worked for Eli. He had a couple of nights like that and then he settled down! Good luck and welcome to motherhood:)

Emily said...

oh my gosh. the worst. i am so sorry! the thing is, babies do stuff like that all the time, i just forgot about it. you think you've got them and their schedule down, and then they screw it all up...and then it goes back to normal for a few days and then it's crap again. i hope it stays good forever for you, you deserve it.

The Hunzikers said...

Okay, that part I am definitely not looking forward to! Jeff and his sisters were really colicky so I have a bad feeling...I don't do so well without sleep. Good thing they come so cute! I hope Porter has more 7 hour nights!!! Hey, where did you guys get your cute crib?