UPDATED TO ADD: I also understand that a lot of the dislike for the standards comes from not understanding why we have to change education from the way things were when we were in school. But considering how fast the world is changing, I think it's good for education to grow and change along with it. (It's so funny to hear myself say things like this because I struggle to even change my plans for an evening and I love the charm in doing most things the old-fashioned way.)
Are the standards perfect? No. But I believe they are a step in the right direction. Here's why . . .
The standards are meant to bridge the achievement gap between high school and college.
Maybe I understand this need so well because I experienced it. I was a straight A student in high school and knew how to get by. When I got to college, I began getting failing grades. I had to teach myself new ways to study and learn before I was able to become more successful. There was a huge gap between the type of learning and studying high school seniors and college freshmen were expected to complete. The new standards focus on getting all children prepared up to a college-entrance level.
The standards are consistent across states.
Okay, this is obviously great because when/if your child moves to a new state, their new class will be working on the same standards your child was learning at their old school. But this is especially great because there are now so many companies/districts/teachers creating great teaching resources that can be shared. We couldn't do that before. Everything available had to be taken and tweaked to fit your particular standards. But now every big company creating resources for education are fitting them to the needs of all the states who've adopted the standards. There is so much available out there now.
The standards are focused on preparing these kids for jobs that don't even exist yet.
When I started school 25 years ago (wow I'm old), my teachers had no idea that they were preparing me to be a contributing member of society in a world with internet, smart phones, email, digital movies and music, gps, email, Facebook, or FaceTime. I heard someone say the other day that our teachers always told us we had to learn math because we wouldn't be carrying calculators with us everywhere our whole lives . . . but we do now, don't we?! I can't even imagine what the world will be like in another 25 years for my kids. These new standards focus more on teaching our kids to think, communicate, understand, and problem-solve so that they can be prepared for their future jobs and future lives, even if we can't entirely guess what they might be.
This morning, when my husband told me that one of the leading congressional candidates for our state is telling everyone she's going to get rid of the common core and decrease funding for education in our state, I got frustrated. When I read about many of the opposing opinions to the common core (on anti-common-core sites and articles), I often start to wonder if there is a different "common core" out there that I don't know about because most of the complaints on there about worksheets and sex education and indoctrination don't really have anything to do with the standards I know. I have read the Common Core Standards and their Addendums cover-to-cover and I honestly believe they are a good thing for education. But of course, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
6 comments:
AMEN!!!!! I am SO tired of all the lies being spread about common core! It is so frustrating. Like when people show a math problem blaming common core when it's a math problem I taught TEN YEARS AGO!!! I worry that all these anti-common core will destroy public education even more. Plus, all the homeschooling that is starting. I am so concerned we will end up with a totally uneducated society because homeschooling really only works if you are COMPLETELY 100% dedicated to it and don't have distractions keeping you from teaching your child! Anyway, sorry. I will end my rant now!!
I haven't read the standards and I really appreciate your take on it! I didn't know most of that! What I do know is that I literally cannot help my 2nd and 5th graders with their math homework because they are teaching it in a way that is completely counterintuitive (for me). My son is not allowed to add 25 + 36 by carrying the 1. He has to make it a base-10 number and then re-add the extra numbers in at the end. I know people who add this way and they are super fast at math in their heads...but I know maybe 2 people who can do it. Noah was intuitively good at math last year and this year he's back to adding 9 + 7 on his fingers because he's so confused about the new way they're teaching at his school. I feel like if it's easier for some kids to just go ahead and carry the 1, they should be allowed to...but it's literally marked wrong on a test if you show your work that way, even if you get the right answer. That's the only common core I know. Maybe it was taught this way before but not at my kids school at least, and not to me growing up.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is frustrated with all the bad information out there. I usually feel like I am! You make a good point about the homeschooling thing needing 100%. Unfortunately, I've seen quite a few homeschooling situations gone bad because that commitment was too much. That being said, I've given a fair amount of consideration into homeschooling myself for Porter's kindergarten year. It's a year away, but my husband and I are endlessly weighing the pros and cons. Like you said, I know it would take 100% for it to work. I wish I could still just run across the hall to discuss school standards and bounce ideas off you! And to rant. ;)
Oh my goodness! Such a valid complaint. I had parents who were completely frustrated with the first grade math. First grade! But I'd say this is the switch in focus from getting the kids to find the answers to problems (like we learned in school) to teaching kids to understand the problems and make sense of WHY different methods work. I think it's a great principle, but I know it sucks to actually go through it- trust me, I had a really annoying college class that focused on teaching/learning math this way. I hated it! But I have to say I understood math so much more deeply after that course. I have used programs that taught math this way before the common core came out. Parents hated it then too. But most of them saw by jr high how much more mathematically capable their kids were because of it. But seriously, I know it sucks! If it makes you feel any better, I bet your kids' teachers would prefer to go back to the old way of teaching math too. ;) It used to be much more straightforward.
That's funny that you have thought about homeschooling Porter for kindergarten. Jeff and I have bounced the idea around for Heidi because she will be young and they have full day kindergarten here...oh and it's a four day school week so the days are loooong! I just can't imagine not having her with me from 7:30-4 but I think I have decided to just let her to because I just don't think I could do a good job with two other little ones who need me too. If you do homeschool porter, I'm sure you will do amazing and he will do awesome! That's funny that you have thought about homeschooling Porter for kindergarten. Jeff and I have bounced the idea around for Heidi because she will be young and they have full day kindergarten here...oh and it's a four day school week so the days are loooong! I just can't imagine not having her with me from 7:30-4 but I think I have decided to just let her to because I just don't think I could do a good job with two other little ones who need me too. If you do homeschool porter, I'm sure you will do amazing and he will do awesome! I really do think homeschool can be amazing if you dedicate your time to it and don't let other things interrupt, I just don't think parents should homeschool because of false things they have heard about common core!
Dana, you are brilliant! Thanks for the great explanation. I have been confused about all the negative posts about common core, but have also been frustrated helping my kids with math. I need to take some time to really research and understand it!
Post a Comment