I realized the other day that this school year is actually coming to a close! I can't believe it! Just like every year, I've come to love my kids and I know I'll have a hard time letting them go. But on the other hand, I'm not going to complain about going on summer vacation in about a month! Honestly, what other job lets you have 3 months off-- paid?! I highly recommend a teaching career to all of you! =)
I have a little boy in my class- we'll call him "Ben." Well, this week we were reading a story about a deaf lady who explains that she became deaf after being seriously ill. When we finished the story, "Ben" came & stood right in front of me, in front of the whole class, with a worried look on his face. And with panic in his voice, he asked, "So . . . people can get deaf if they get sick?" I realized how scared he was about this and I assured him that some people do-- but only if they are so so so sick that they're in the hospital and they're close to dying; but that doesn't happen to most people. He looked a little assured, then he asked, "So you don't go deaf by like having the flu?" I told him that that wouldn't happen. He thought for a second more, then still with a concerned voice, he asked, "K, well what about having the tv too loud?" I burst out laughing then as I assured him that he wasn't going to go deaf. So to all the moms that use deafness as a threat for turning down the tv, I'm sorry! I know that the next time "Ben's" mom asks him to turn it down, she might not be too thrilled to find out what his teacher told him. But I couldn't very well leave him there, trembling, believing that he should start learning sign language! With all the trials I've had this year, I will still definitely miss these cute kids!
3 comments:
hey dana...this is jonna. found you through beth. Welcome to the blogging world. Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun! I am going to add you to my links!
That's so cute! You are such a patient and sweet person! Teachers definitely have a big impact in the lives of their students. We've always been blessed with great teachers for Kaedan and Carter and we miss them when each school year comes to an end too.
Where did you guys do the frisbee golf thing? You guys are so funny and creative. :)
How many kids do you have?? Your class looks so tiny!! I heard you have a pretty rough group. Are you at a title 1 school? I may need some advice because I am going to a title 1 school and I am a little concerned!!
Post a Comment