Monday, April 28, 2008

Foot Piercings, Painful yet Popular




If you have ever used an adjustable ladder you like I know that it is clearly not rocket science, it’s not brain surgery, I think we can all agree that most trained monkeys could pull it off. I was fully convinced of the previous statement regarding the simplicity of a telescoping ladder until today. Many of you know that I work at a climbing gym, the majority of the labor goes into setting routes. It is an easy process of establishing where to place certain hold in order to present a certain level of difficulty. Well we use ladders because it means you get to spend less time in a harness. Our boss who owns our gym was nice enough to go out and buy us a 24’ extension ladder, which we received last Thursday. Today I was watching one of our co-workers set a route, he first asked me how to extend the ladder, this should have been a red flag for his ignorance. He used it for a while and when he was finished he attempted to return it to its original size. First he had the top rung stuck on a climbing hold for about two or three minutes. After I pointed that out he was completely stumped, I showed him he could pull it away from the wall and lower it, he did and lost control of it, one leg came up off the ground falling toward some guests. I grabbed it and stopped it, as I did the pivoting foot that can lay either rubber down for a flat surface, or spiked foot down for dirt or grass turned spikes down as it returned to a flat position on top of my foot. As I looked down I saw a small cut, at a closer glance I realized it was a little deeper than I had originally thought, then I saw the dark blood ooze out and begin to fill my chaco. I walked into the front office to get a band aid out of the First Aid box only to discover that our inventory had been depleted. So I tried to pull the wound shut with a series of smaller band aids. It was not until around an hour latter that I got home and was able to finally clean it out, super glue it, and butterfly it shut. I am attaching some cool pictures so you can see. I know it does not look bad, in fact it does not really hurt that bad, but it is an annoyance either way

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian that looks awful! keep it clean! Ok and please be careful or you're coming back to work for Dad!
Love you BUBA!
Mom

Katie and Brad Judson said...

oh my gosh must you bleed at every job you have. First it was a pipe falling on your face now a ladder to the foot. Goodness Brian maybe Dana should put you in a big Bubble and we can call you bubble boy. I am just teasing. I cant really talk I had a stampler bite me and I bled luckily one Bandaid was good. Again sorry about your wound. Love you both.

The Binghams... said...

you're crazy.. lol.. good luck with that

McMillan Family said...

That looks awful. Are you sure it does not hurt? I would be crying like a baby. I hope your foot is feeling better. Tanner wants to come climb with you when do you work?