I got to school 15 minutes before I was told to be there- just to make sure I'd have time to read over the sub plans & get settled. I checked in and went to the classroom. A little girl in the hall asked me why I was subbing for that class when they had a field trip today. What?!! I was shocked. "Where?" was all I could ask. The zoo. My pointy-toed heels started feeling a little uncomfortable and my "light" sweater was feeling much, much too light. And the leftover chili and cornbread I brought to heat up for my lunch was starting to seem a bit ridiculous. I then tackled the teacher's desk where I found about 20 pages of rules, chaperone notes, lunch money counts, money for train rides at the zoo, lists of who needs permission slips turned in, lists of who's paid and who hasn't, and nametags to attach to students that I've never seen in my life. All too soon, before I'd figured anything out, 22 students and 7 parents arrived to have me tell the rules, assign groups, gather lunches, take attendance, collect unpaid money, get permission slips, feed them breakfast, and load the bus within 20 minutes.
Luckily, considering the circumstances, everything ran pretty smoothly after we got to the zoo. I just have one complaint: I am SOOOO cold!! School's been out for an hour and I still haven't thawed out. Not a very nice day for a zoo field trip (with only a light sweater)! Oh, and I guess I have another complaint: a piece of cornbread does not provide enough energy for a whole day! But I do have to say, as a teacher, I learned a lot from this experience!
5 comments:
What a nice surprise for you! :) It was SO cold when we went to the zoo with Cassidy's school a few weeks ago too. Luckily I drove down and we had gloves and extra jackets. Glad it turned out okay!
How nice for you!! I can't imagine the zoo with chilly weather and pointy toed shoes would be incredible amounts of fun! But I'm glad everything turned out ok!
That is so funny! That's what you get for being the little sister with more fashion sense than her older one! Pointy toed shoes...hmmm, there's a thought!
Glad you had a good time though and I hope you've warmed up now. If you need more heat...come visit and we'll lounge by the pool and soak in some rays! Okay, not really...who does those things while chasing two crazy kids around and making sure they don't drown!?!? But you could come relax and warm up! How's that for begging for a visit??? :)
Dana you didn't get cotton candy? That is my favorite thing about the zoo! hehehehe
Glad you survived you should have called I would have run you over one of my much to large for you jackets! I hate being cold!
Love you
Mom
WHAT??!!! Why did she not tell you it was a field trip day??!! That is crazy! You are so sweet and I'm sure you were pleasant the whole day...I would not have been. That is just downright mean!
Post a Comment