Saturday, March 13, 2010

Consistency

I do NOT want to leave my baby on Monday to go back to work. But, that being said, there will be one blessing to my returning to school. That is consistency. My poor students have not had a consistent teacher since I've left. Some of my students were even switched to a new class they created when I was gone. I feel so terrible because I know if I were one of my students' parents, I'd be pretty upset by now. It seemed like every week a new substitute was put in. Let's count:

#1: Mrs. G.- my students never actually had this sub. But she was the one I set up at the beginning of the year and told all my students' parents about. Then a month before my maternity leave, she told me she was offered a full-time teaching position. Happy for her; not for me.

#2: Miss S.- great replacement for Mrs. G. So happy I got her to be my sub! She was in my class for 3 weeks before my school created a new 2nd grade class and decided to hire her to be the full-time teacher. Again, happy for her; not for me.

#3: Mrs. H.- hired by my principal to replace Miss S. when they took her away. I never met Mrs. H. but I heard great things about her. Then her daughter had a baby and away she went.

#4: Mr. N.- had been subbing for another teacher at our school who returned from maternity leave. He was meant to finish up the time until my return. Then his mother-in-law passed away and he had to leave as well.

#5: Mrs. S.- a student-teacher at our school who filled in when Mr. N. left. She stayed with my kids for the last week of my absence.

I love my students this year and I'm very excited to see them again . . . and finally give them a permanent teacher!

5 comments:

landofnyedom said...

Holy cow! Sorry Mrs. G didn't work out for you, but Cass is liking her. :)
I can't believe there have been so many changes. That would be hard for the kids. Hopefully it'll be a smooth transition back to you. Good luck Monday!
We're here if you need us.
Love ya!

Emily said...

Those poor kids! That IS hard. I'm sure they'll be so glad to have you back.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dana Hope you have a great day! We loved tending Porter Saturday night! He is a cutie and we sure love him.

Troy, Brandy, and Boys said...

Wow! I'm sorry! That's a lot of teachers to go through! They've got the best back now though so I'm sure they'll be great! :) How was your first day back? That's the hardest thing I ever had to do (3x). :)

The Peterson's said...

So hard to leave but your are right sounds like your school kids need you too! Everything will work out!