Being on Spring Break this week, I figured I wouldn't get a better time to potty train Porter. And so yesterday we began. I tried to do this "Potty-Training in One Day" method that I found on Pinterest. We made it to 1:30 before I gave up.
The method was really great and Porter did learn a lot from our morning, but he didn't quite respond the way that was expected when using this method. He wore the underpants all morning and learned that it's bad to go pee pee on the floor (and in the underpants, and on the chairs, and everywhere around the house!). But the part he didn't quite get was how to overcome his fear of actually going in the toilet. So I ended up with a little boy sobbing by the toilet, trying not to go potty where he wasn't supposed to and scared to death of going potty where he was supposed to. It was heart-wrenching. So I finally got out a diaper and put him down for his nap. He (and I) slept for 3 hours, then woke up just as Brian was coming home.
After venting to Brian about our long, unsuccessful day, Brian and Porter went upstairs and I started vacuuming. Within minutes, I heard Brian shouting over the vacuum sound to come upstairs because Porter just went potty. I didn't believe him . . . but it was true! After months of me trying to convince Porter that it's fun to sit on a toilet and an entire morning of practicing . . . every . . . 15 . . . minutes, he finally went -- for Brian. Of course!
So I've decided to give it another shot. We'll try again today- maybe with a few adjustments and hopefully less tears. Wish me luck!
3 comments:
So far Alex has done the same thing. He is afraid to even sit on the potty. Let me know if you come across any more good tricks and good luck!
You're ambitious! I didn't even think about potty training my boys 'til they were 3 and it was a breeze both times. I'm a firm believer in waiting 'til I'M ready. I always hear wait until the kid is ready, but why make life harder for myself? I have enough to do. So I wait 'til I have the time (and inclination). Good luck with it, I hope it goes well!
Good luck! We couldn't get Carter to go in a public bathroom for awhile. So much so, that when he'd only been potty trained a few months we drove all the way to CA without him going once OR having an accident. But he went once we got to our hotel! :) I'll pray for your patience.
Post a Comment