Monday, May 12, 2008

Dana for President

Anyone who really knows me, knows that when politics come up in a conversation, I usually stop talking (though I probably wasn't even talking in the first place, if it was a group conversation)! I have never voiced any political opinions because I have never HAD any political opinions. That is why I can hardly believe what I did last weekend!

It all started a couple months ago . . . the DEA rep at my school was encouraging all us teachers to go to our local caucus meetings to vote for delegates from our neighborhoods who will support political people who helped public education. I decided to do my civic duty and attend- and hopefully get an idea of what the heck was even going on at these things! But to my surprise, I was the only person who showed up from my caucus except for 3 other people: the political guy I was told to vote against and his wife & son! Also, to my surprise, one of the orders of the night was to vote for county & state delegates within our caucus as well as our chair and co-chair. Needless to say, I left that night with my new appointments as state delegate and co-chair of our caucus for the next 2 years!


On Saturday, I fulfilled my first duty as state delegate by attending the state republican convention in Orem . . . at 7 am. When I showed up, I had absolutely NO idea what I was even supposed to do there! I felt a little foolish and out of place all day. But I did end up being in the right places when I needed to be-- mostly by asking enough questions (to people who I'm sure were rolling their eyes at me as I walked away!) and I got some pretty cool t-shirts (from candidates I didn't even vote for!) and I got to actually got to see some of our current leaders and realize that's why I've heard their names so much! But, fortunately, I ended up learning quite a lot from my political Saturday. And I even gained a few opinions about politics while I was there! Yeah!!

4 comments:

Dani said...

You've got my vote! :) I'm very impressed!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Now you can keep us all aware!
Love you
Mom

danielle said...

i'm sooooo impressed. when i told tj you were a state delegate he said, "wait, dana who?" !

Dan Sudweeks said...

Proud of you Dana. Who know you may even run for State Senator or something like that in the future. I'd vote for you no matter what you do.
Dad