Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Highlight of My Day


Today one of my sweet little 2nd graders was telling some of the kids about her hamster who died yesterday because she forgot to feed it. One minute later she's next to me and says, "Mrs. Nye, look!" I looked, and there was her dead hamster in a box that she had just pulled from her backpack! I couldn't breathe. I wanted to cry and scream and hide under my desk. But as soon as I got my breath back, she was promptly led to the office where they called her mom to come pick up the dead hamster from school. Ew!!!

5 comments:

danielle said...

this story reminded me of a confession i have to make re: little furry things and your v. large aversion to them....
at our last apartment in provo we had mice, but i had to keep it a secret b/c i knew if i told you then you'd never come over ever again!

Katie and Brad Judson said...

Hey Hampsters aren't bad I had four of them. I secretly think Brian plotted against them and lured them to there own deaths. Okay not really. But seriously gross that she brought it to school. I didn't know you had this fear. I will have to tuck that memory away for later. Anyways love you blog.

Dani said...

The things you get to see and hear as a teacher...seriously, does it get funnier than that?!?! And then Danielle's post about your apt having mice??? I'm sorry...but that is soooo beyond funny!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dana Steve wonders if the hampsters name was Herman? When He was little he took his hampster named Herman to school for show and tell. There was an accident on the way Herman died. When the teacher asked what he had brought he Herman laying on his desk and he started to cry and said "My dead hampster. I get teary thinking of this little kid saying that. Well then he calls his Mom at work and tells her Herman is dead! Well she goes into a complete panic because he has an Uncle Herman! So the story is a Nye Ledgend!
Love you
Mom and Dad

The Hunzikers said...

Oh my goodness!! THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!! I would have peed my pants. Teaching is the best! By the by, happy belated birthday!!!!! I'm so sorry I missed it on the day of!