Tonight I left school pretty late after my parent-teacher conferences. I went to the grocery store near my house to pick up a few things. As I went through the checkout aisle, the cashier looked at my items: 20 boxes of conversation hearts and posterboard. She smiled and said, "The things we won't do for our kids, right?" My first thought was, What! I don't look old enough to have kids-- let alone school-age kids who are the ones who would need this kind of stuff! And who says a childless girl wouldn't ever need 20 boxes of conversation hearts for herself??And then I realized it: I am old enough. Goodbye young Dana. Even though I'm not a mother, I feel like I've just reached the mother-age; when I could start being mistaken for a child's mom instead of their really cool, pretty, smart, sophisticated, older sister. Weird.
12 comments:
Note to self-don't go buy 20 boxes of conversation hearts-they do quite a number on your self-esteem.
LOL. You are too funny.
Sorry you had to realize your age in a grocery store. I had that epiphany Anjali's first day of 1st grade, but at least I was at home.
Ditto Rachel's comment.
Wait till you actually have kids that go to school! That takes a hit... My sweet little husband keeps reminding me that the big 3-0 is not so far off...
bummer dude. Although I've gotta say, you DO look young. Only in Utah would somebody think you were a mom of a school-age child. Honest.
It is sad I know. I still picture myself as 19, but to others I am just old.
LOL! You're so funny! I got the giggles at Carter's parent teacher conferences last night so my next post will be going the other direction age-wise. :) Must be the lack of sleep. You are such a cute teacher!
I don't know if I ever told you and Brian thanks for stopping by the hospital that day. I apologize for the timing. It was really sweet of you guys to come by and though I probably didn't show it, it meant a lot!
Love you guys!
Dana...
You are too cute...and WAY too funny. I think you and Brian are a perfect match...and my kids think you're a pretty, smart, fun aunt. Thanks for watching the kids the other night. I know it wasn't easy with Austin and all but we REALLY appreciated it. Thanks again...and welcome to the real world! :o)
We all hit those points. I still think you look like the cool sister!
ah ha you admit it. You and Brian are next in line to have kids. I have people at work asking me but luckily there are like three of us who still view ourselves as way to young to start a family so all three of us will gang up on the individual who dared ask us about why we haven't started to have kids.
Oh I haven't seen your invite for the sealing do you know when we will get that. love you sis.
haha! that is soooo funny! it's sad but i still see myself as 21 and i have to think about it when i get asked how old i am!
we've had anthon's brother living with us for a while now and when we go run errands without tone i always get double takes like i totally robbed the cradle! i know he's 10 years younger than me but i never thought i looked that old until i started taking my kids to the grocery store with him! :)
oh and i love conversation hearts too! i could buy 20 boxes all for myself :)
Post a Comment